ASNET focuses on using the existing research work to influence the key decision making processes
1. Advocacy and Lobbying
Kenya’s natural resources, in particular its rich flora and fauna are among the country’s most valuable assets. But unsustainable development processes and utilization of the resources now threatens this rich biodiversity, since its impacts in Kenya have continued to undermine livelihood security of already poor, and the vulnerable people.
Kenya’s natural resource base has dwindled over the years and population of specific wildlife species have reduced.There is a continuing deterioration of the natural resource base for most smallholder producers and degradation of fragile ecosystems due to poor development decision making process as the key factor.
This, in the long run, affects water and land based natural resources, escalates loss of forest cover, woodland degradation, blockage of wildlife corridors and increased environmental pollution and eventually food insecurity, national economic strain, biodiversity loss and negative impacts on public health.
2. Media Empowerment and profiling protected areas
- Identifying and empowering media champions for environmental sustainability and wildlife conservation;
ASNET focusses on improving the already existing relationship between African Sustainability Network and both local and international mainstream media and to further empower the identified young and vibrant media personality champions to help advocate for the environmental sustainability agenda, create more awareness on wildlife conservation and to help extensively cover and simplify the outcome of various national and international multilateral environmental agreements to the local public and policy makers with key focus on inter alia CITES and UNFCCC processes.
- Profiling Protected Areas;
The African Sustainability Network’s main objective with this programme is to promote wildlife conservation and advocate further the agenda of Kenyans for Wildlife and Wildlife for Kenyans. This is done in collaboration with major mainstream media house
3. Youth creativity, Arts, Environment and Conservation
- Graffiti, photography, animation and modeling sessions
Environmental conservation and wildlife has not been fully embraced by the majority of the local urban and semi urban youth and it is widely considered ‘not cool’ or less appealing to warrant attention from this population.
The African Sustainability Network, through its current established networks uses the skills of young people suchs as in developing communicative cartoons, graffiti, spoken word, music and photography from this industry to support the conservation campaign and push environmental sustainability agenda.
Through organizing annual shows and effective use of social media and other online platforms, we create more awareness on the need for environmental and wildlife conservation among Kenyans and how they can be part of the change.
4. Technology and Sustainability
- African Sustainability Network is working with different partners on developing different mobile phone applications to help promote citizen science by allowing the public contribute towards finding solutions to some of the existing environmental and wildlife conservation problems.
5. Environmental Law Enforcement programmes and Environmental Policies Review
- African Sustainability Network works in partnership with different organizations in capacity building and empowering the agencies responsible for enforcing law on matters environment, sustainability and conservation. ASNET further aims to conduct a regular and action oriented environmental and wildlife policies implementation status review.
6. Environmental Sustainability Action Award Scheme
- One of the ways used by the African Sustainability Network to promote and encourage environmental sustainability good practice is through rewarding and profiling different individuals, agencies, corporations, leaders and politicians who have put in place initiatives towards achieving environmental sustainability.
7.Public Health and Environment
- ASNET focuses on a proactive advocacy and developing strategies linking health, environment, and sustainability through a transdisciplinary approach. We partner with different institutions ranging from inter alia academia, research, media and organizational to share solutions on sustainability that improve environment and human health.